Welcome to the STEM is Everywhere! MOOC
On this page
This course is meant to connect Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) classes with “real life” and help teachers integrate real-world problems into their STEM lessons and practices. The lack of connection between real life and STEM classes might cause students to rule out STEM careers, because they feel detached from STEM and might deem it too “academic” or “research-oriented”.
Teachers often encounter this issue when they aim to motivate their students or direct them towards STEM careers. Therefore, the ‘STEM Is Everywhere!’ course offers guidance and practical examples for you to bring real-world problems to your STEM teaching in an entertaining way. The course also aims to connect you with other STEM teachers so that you can share experiences and best practices.
Join us for this course on European Schoolnet Academy and meet colleagues with similar interests as yourself, share experiences with them, find new classroom activities and resources on how to integrate real-world problems into your STEM teaching and create a lesson plan that is ready to be implemented in your interdisciplinary classes. Finally, earn digital badges and a certificate acknowledging your work.
- Identify STEM in everyday life and learn how to integrate real-world STEM problems in your lessons
- Build confidence in trying out new methods in the classroom, such as an interdisciplinary approach
- Explore a range of resources, tools and strategies for activities that enhance STEM in real life
- Learn about 21st-century skills and how to address them in the classroom
- Review the work of course peers
- Connect with other course participants
- Reflect on your professional practice, beliefs and learning
Primary and secondary school teachers, and teacher trainers from Europe and beyond.
- Module 1: Towards 21st-century STEM education
- Module 2: Real-world problems for STEM subjects
- Module 3: Interdisciplinary STEM teaching with real-world problems
- Module 4: Submit your real-world STEM lesson plan!
You will receive digital module badges for every completed module of the course as well as a course badge and a course certificate upon completion of the full course.
Note to teachers from Portugal: You can get your successful participation in a European Schoolnet Academy course formally recognised as a valid continuous professional development, and thereby acquire the relevant number of training hours, by sending your certificate to the Conselho Científico e Pedagógico de Formação Contínua (CCPFC) at Rua do Forno, nº 30, 1º andar - apartado 2168, 4700 - 429 Braga, Portugal. For more information, please contact the CCPFC.
Disclaimer and Copyright
This course is offered by Scientix.
Scientix, the community for science education in Europe, promotes and supports a Europe-wide collaboration among STEM teachers, education researchers, policymakers and other STEM education professionals.
Scientix 3 is supported by the European Union’s H2020 research and innovation programme (Grant agreement N. 730009). The content of this course is the sole responsibility of the organizer and it does not represent the opinion of the European Commission (EC), and the EC is not responsible for any use that might be made of information contained.
All content on this course unless specified otherwise is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License